Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Cat's Out of the Bag! The Goal Is...

As many of my blog posts mention, I’m a self-appointed poor runner.  I like running at about 5mph.  Any faster than that and my short stubby legs just refuse to move and time stops.  Running at 5mph is my sweet spot.  I don’t really lose my breath and there are days when I feel like I can run forever because time ceases to exist.  However, forever is usually no more than four miles at this point and time, but it’s a deeply enjoyed and effortless four miles. 
That being said, I’m attempting to pick up my speed and maximize my endurance…by February.  Why?  Because I need a goal.  I need to focus my attention.  And I need to win the Glass Slipper.
In general, people lose interest in their exercise programs (if it’s not an effortless, habitual routine) because there is a lack of focus.  You get to a point where you ask yourself, “well now what?”  Maybe you’ve hit a plateau; maybe you’re incredibly bored with the same ol’, same ol’; maybe your not seeing the same speedy results that you were seeing a month or two ago.  Whatever the reason is, people quit.  And it’s not just with exercise programs – it’s all sorts of “extra curricular activities.” 
The only thing that people don’t seem to quit is the TV shows that they are watching.  I know I’m guilty of this.  There are a few TV shows that are running that I find myself, “WHY AM I WATCHING THIS? THIS IS SO STUPID!”  Usually I dislike shows because the writers seem to have run out of plot ideas, and so you just watch things happen that don’t really make sense or seem a bit jumbled.  Why do we watch these TV shows?  Because we’ve invested so much time and effort into the programs that we feel like we are a part of their fake lives and we want to see this through.
Why don’t we apply this same loyalty to health and well-being?  Because, let’s face it, it’s not as interesting…right?  No. Incorrect.  When you devote a lot of time and effort into your health and wellness lifestyle, you see results.  You notice differences.  You feel better.  You can run farther.  You can lift heavier objects.  So how do you keep it interesting?
By setting goals.  Think of your personal goals as the overarching theme of a TV show.  Today is the beginning, death will be the end.  Shake up your workouts by adding “plot twists” and unexpected challenges.  I mean, that’s why we love “Game of Thrones,” right?  Unexpected challenges question our capabilities.  It focuses us to try harder and to eventually succeed at something that we thought to be impossible.

Earlier I mentioned that I have recently focused my attention, but it wasn’t my doing.  It was an unexpected plot twist.  Next year, we are going to celebrate my sister’s and my niece’s birthday by earning a Glass Slipper medal.  In order to do this, you need to run a 10k on Saturday and a ½ marathon on Sunday and finish within a certain time.  And just for the fun of it, we are going to do the 5k the Friday before.  So it’s three days of running, the last day being the worst.  Honestly, I think this is bat-shit crazy, and I’m in a state of disbelief that I will be able to survive that weekend.  BUT.  I am following my program.  I am being consistent.  I am trying to run a little faster on my short run days, and happily maintaining my 5mph pace on my long run days.  I should be able to run a half marathon by November if my training goes smoothly…but I know there will be twists and turns and other obstacles that will threaten my consistency.  (Like moving back to the US, a wedding in South Dakota, followed by a short visit to Colorado.)  Never-the-less, I am going to be as consistent as possible and earn that Glass Slipper medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment